By now it’s pretty obvious that keeping track of your health is pretty important. We all have our own way of doing it, and there isn’t a right or wrong way to do it.
Our body is always sending out signals regarding our health. One thing you can pay attention to is the appearance of your stool.
There are two categories in analyzing your stool: the color and the shape.
By now you probably know that the normal color of your stool is brown. But sometimes it can change for seemingly no reason. In that case, it can be a warning sign. So here are a few things to look out for, according to medical sites like WebMD.
1. If your poop is whitish, grayish or clay-colored that means a lack of bile. This probably means that there is are a liver and gallbladder issue. White mucus on brown stool may be a sign of Crohn’s disease.
2. Green poop might mean that you’re eating a ton of vegetables that are rich in chlorophyll. If you don’t eat veggies and your poop is still green, it might just mean it passed the digestive tract far too quickly and didn’t get enough bile and bilirubin.
3. Yellow poop can mean you ate too many carrots or it could be a sign of blocked bile ducts and poor fat absorption. It may also mean that there’s a lack of enzymes that are produced by the pancreas.
4. If your stool is black, it might be because of aspirin, ibuprofen and iron supplements. But it can also mean that there is internal bleeding in your intestines. But more commonly it has to do with the food you eat. Black and blue foods, such as blueberries or licorice, can give you a darker shade.
5. A red stool is most commonly a result of your diet (e.g. beets). But if it’s not your food, blood in your poop is a red flag. Contact your doctor as it may be a sign of hemorrhoids, ulcerative colitis, and even cancer.
The shape of your poop can also tell you a lot about your body and the health that you’re in. Some of them are pretty obvious, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not worth mentioning!
6. Usually, if you are pooping solid lumps that look like nuts or goat feces, that’s probably a sign of constipation. But don’t worry, that just means that your body needs some fiber!
7. A sign of constipation can also be that your poop is large and lumpy. It can also mean that you need to do more physical activity. Basically, eat your fruits and veggies and work out more!
8. If you’re pooping cracked sausage-shaped poop that means you are perfectly healthy. That poop is the kind of poop that you want.
9. Diarrhea is the most common thing we all get. If your poop is liquidy, then something is not right with your tummy. You can wait it out for a few hours, but if it’s still not working out, go see your doctor!
10. If you are pooping fluffy pieces with ragged edges that means that you have a mild case of diarrhea. It’s not a terrible thing though. It may just mean you are eating too much fiber.