Mom finds her 2-year-old like this at day care. Her ‘heart stopped’ when she realized the reason


2-year-old bitten at day care

Two-year-old Kiley Cook is the typical little girl, full of energy and smiles. But just last month Kiley was in the hospital with a blackened hand and swollen fingers, hand and arm after she was bitten by a copperhead snake on the playground at her day care center in Granbury, Texas, according to WFAA.

Day care officials told reporters that they always scan the playground for snakes and have never had an incident like this in the entire 18 years they’ve been open. They assured reporters that they will take extra steps, including the installation of a mesh fence, to keep snakes off the property.

The University of Florida Department of Wildlife Ecology & Conservation reports that about 7,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes each year, and about five of those bites prove to be fatal. If you are headed out to the woods for a camping trip, are planning a wilderness hike or live in an area native to these slithering reptiles, use extra caution as you wander around this summer. 

If you or someone you are with is bitten by a snake, there are a few things you can do to reduce your odds of serious side effects from the venom, according to the Mayo Clinic.

– Stay calm and still. If you start to panic and move around, your heart rate will increase, and the venom can move through your blood faster. 

– Remove rings and other items near the bite wound that could be problematic if the affected limb swells.

– Cover the wound with a loose bandage.

– Do not drink caffeine or alcohol, which can speed up  your metabolism and cause you to absorb the venom more quickly.

– Get help as quickly as possible. The only cure for a venomous snakebite is an anti-venom.