Fidget spinners have been all the rage these days. A device originally intended to help kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, anxiety and autism has spun off into one of the hottest fads on the internet. One father took to Facebook to share with others that the toy may not be all fun and games.
Facebook user John Harris was spending some quality time with his young son by sharing an interest of his — fidget spinners. John had seen videos previously on Youtube of people using compressed air to make the fidget spinners revolve faster than humanly possible.
Countless fidget spinner videos littered the inter-web, piquing John’s and his son’s interest, and they thought to try it for themselves. What transpired next changed John’s whole outlook on the “harmless ” device, and he wants to warn other parents of the injuries kids could sustain.
The Facebook post reads: “I know this post isn’t gonna be easy for some to look at, but I felt it necessary. This was caused from playing with a fidget spinner and compressed air (air compressor) spraying across it. I was holding the spinner and the air hose when it happened. We had been playing with it for a while and all of a sudden the plastic on the fidget spinner exploded. We are at the ER now waiting to have stitches. I am sharing so no one else has the same stupid idea that I had. We were lucky it missed his eyes. It could have been much worse.”
John later told his Facebook friends and family that his son received 30 stitches, 27 outside of his mouth and 3 inside his mouth.
The post, which has been shared almost over 300,000 times, understandably had parents concerned and asking questions. Someone commented, “What made the spinner explode? What was the rating of compressed air can?” To which John replied, “The spinner just exploded.”
It’s important to note that there haven’t been any reports of the device exploding when compressed air wasn’t used, but with children flocking to Youtube to watch people experimenting with spinners, it’s surprising more kids haven’t been injured. Kids could get the idea to try these experiments- without safety wear — or even worse, by themselves.